- All products are added to your cart.
With over 30 years’ experience in probiotics, coupled with continual research and new product development, ProVen is one of the world's most respected producers of probiotics.
The company is owned and managed by Dr Nigel Plummer, a world-renowned expert in the field of probiotics. Dr Plummer produced his first human probiotic in 1994, having previously worked in the field of animal probiotics.
The products developed by ProVen Probiotics have been used in research relating to allergy, common illnesses and specific digestive complaints and are designed to be used in pregnancy, through infancy, childhood and into adulthood.
Excellence in probiotics through continual research & development
Lab4, the strain of bacteria used in their products has been developed over 20 years by Dr Nigel Plummer. Their 20-strong team of scientists and researchers, has spent the last 15 years undertaking clinical research into the effectiveness of the Lab4 probiotic strains.
The team has also developed Lab4b, a second group of four bacterial strains specifically for babies and has also identified a new strain of bacteria (Lab4p) which has been shown to lower cholesterol.
ProVen Probiotics is part of Cultech Ltd, a bioscience company based in south Wales, which produces supplements for a large number of companies worldwide. The company is internationally renowned as an expert in probiotic bacteria and is approved to make probiotics as medicines – the company is also BRC approved, has ISO9000 and MHRA accreditations and is audited to cGMP (current Good Manufacturing Processes) by the FDA in the USA.
The group of bacteria used in the ProVen Probiotics range is backed by a unique body of research supporting the benefits of these bacteria for different life stages and health complaints. The Lab4 friendly bacteria used in ProVen Probiotics is one of the most studied groups of friendly bacteria in the world and the most studied in the UK.
ProVen Probiotics are supported by a large body of ongoing research, with more than 40 published scientific papers, including nine major human studies, all demonstrating positive benefits in intestinal and immune health.
Why Choose Pro-Ven Probiotics?
- Human Strains. The strains used in ProVen Probiotics were originally isolated from the gut microbiota of healthy humans and screened for appropriate characteristics and safety. They are naturally present in our intestines, but their numbers can be reduced due to stresses of our modern lifestyle.
- Multi Strain. The human gut contains thousands of different strains of live bacteria (from different groups and species) and multi-strain products have been shown to work synergistically to support this diversity. The Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria groups (genera) of probiotic bacteria are the most studied and ProVen Probiotics contain two strains of each group and additional Lactobacillus strains when suited to a particular product.
- Clearly defined strain members. ProVen Probiotics products contain the Lab4 and Lab4b consortia of bacteria, which contain the following strains – the strain numbers are clearly labelled in brackets. Lab4 – Lactobacillus acidophilus CUL60, Lactobacillus acidophilus (CUL21), Bifidobacterium bifidum (CUL20), Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis (CUL34); Lab4b – Lactobacillus salivarius (CUL61), Lactobacillus paracasei (CUL08), Bifidobacterium bifidum (CUL20), Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis (CUL34)
- Evidence that the bacteria survive stomach and bile acids. The stomach is an acidic environment and friendly bacteria need to be able to survive this to reach the microbiota in the intestines. ProVen Probiotics are held in suspension in their various formats until they reach the stomach. Taking them with food will ensure that the pH of the stomach allows them to pass into the small intestine alongside the food as it is digested.
- Safety. Safety is a key consideration when choosing any supplement. As well as having a vast number of ongoing customers of ProVen products (including children, babies and pensioners), ProVen Probiotics are continuously being scrutinised in research studies and were specifically approved for use in a trial with pregnant mums and their newborn babies and shown to be completely safe for use by these vulnerable groups.
- Commitment to research. ProVen Probiotics and the Lab4 bacteria that they contain are supported by a strong body of research published in peer-reviewed journals and we are involved in a continuous research programme to support the efficacy of the products we sell.
- Survival at room temperature. As an expert manufacturer of friendly bacteria, ProVen Probiotics are able to ensure that high potency products are stable for 18-24 months in room temperature conditions. Their manufacturing processes are optimised to increase stability of the bacteria at every stage.
- Guaranteed bacteria count to expiry. The TriPhase and StabilityMax technology used to manufacture ProVen Probiotics products, guarantees the stated number of live bacteria to the expiry date of the product. They utilise optimise 'gas-tight' packaging and 'overage' of bacteria to ensure this.
- Manufactured to cGMP standarts. ProVen Probiotics are manufactured to current Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and accredited by the MHRA (Medicines & Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency). GMP provide requirements that a manufacturer must meet to ensure products are consistently high in quality.
- Positive independent reviews. ProVen Probiotics is part of Feefo, an independent and therefore unbiased review service, and all their online customers are asked by Feefo to provide honest feedback about their products and the experience they had when purchasing from ProVen Probiotics.
- Free from artificial colours, flavours and preservatives. None of the ProVen Probiotics products contain artificial colours, flavours or preservatives.
- GMO free. Their manufacturing facility is 100% free of genetically modified organisms. They do not handle genetically modified ingredients and will never include them in products.